View Single Post
Old 13th March 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
kharmachanic

Default Can you identify these swords

Aloha,
My father recently passed away, and in going through his "pack rat hovel" I re-discovered a couple of items. these used to be our "sword fighting" implements when we were all kids.
As far as I can tell/remember these were discovered by my dad in his uncles house after he passed away. My great uncle was a member of the knights of Pythias in KEY WEST Fla. My ancestors were some of the original settlers of Key West, having moved from The Bahamas, and previously from S. Carolina during the Revolutionary war.
Best I have been able to assertain is they are from the late 1800's, they dont seem to fall into the normal cerimonial swords I have seen form the knights of pythias.
They have the following engraving on the swords, Luckhaus $ Gunther - Remscheid, and what appears to be a sheep with a cross topped standard enclosed in a circle. The long swords are numbered 500 and 509, the short sword has the same info but the circle around the sheep is broken and not solid and its number is 555.
The long swords are 30" in lengths and have a non sharpened edge. the Short sword is 18 1/4" long.

everyone that could have provided more info is gone now so I am trying to find out a little more about them form whatever resource I can find. So here I am.
let me know if you can help .
I put one image here and the others on a webpage as I did not want to put 12 images in this space.

Thanks

here is the link to the others.

link to the swords in question
kharmachanic is offline   Reply With Quote