View Single Post
Old 10th July 2017, 04:24 PM   #17
Gonzalo G

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
I can't avoid looking at this from a different angle. I take it that, if the novel knight had no symbols in his shield and vests, those were considered 'blank' (for nothing). In this case, having no arms, would mean having no heraldry ensigns, as in escudo de armas.
It is correct, Fernando. But the term also implies that nothing is over the white steel, no ensigns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Bluteau is very precise: armado de ponto em banco = armado da cabeça até aos pés de armas brancas = Undique armatus. A capite ad calcem armis ... He cites well known Roman personalities like Tito Livio and Tacito using such terminology, which brings the term back to the age of Christ, something i would never realize.
Rafael Bluteau (1638-1734), a religious born in England and died in Lisbon, was a great lexicographer of the portuguese language, and was the author of the monumental Vocabulario Portugues e Latino, a ten tome work (8200 pages).
Very interesting, I didn't know this source. I will see if I can find that work. Thank you for the reference.

Un abrazo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote