Thread: Sword Shipping
View Single Post
Old 4th November 2009, 02:01 AM   #41
celtan

Yep, the velvet glove over the gauntlet. Everything is better if you can avoid an issue becoming a pissing contest...

From your description, our local government officials may be Korean spies from Customs and Inmigration. : )

Incidentally, I have had to explain federal mail regulations to USPS employees many times. Often, their computer programs lag behind the current regulations. Their faces are always a sight to behold when I point them to the specific items in their secret lore...

BTW, speaking of danger and muzzleloaders. Early this year at a reenactment, I lent my loaded musket to one of our fusiliers, since his was acting up. I loudly warned him that it was loaded, and went back to lead our men.

Apparently he was half deaf from the sound of the firing and did not understood me. He loaded a second charge, but left the frizzen half open and the igniter load spilled. Since he though there was only one charge in the barrel, he intentionally loaded a second charge so as not to waste the BP after priming the pan again. (We use two loads for demonstrations when we have few reenactors). So, in fact he had loaded three charges (375 mgs of FF BP..!) .

When he fired he was right beside me.

Suffice it to say we all stopped firing for a few seconds, just looking at each other.

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelake
Korean customs (and immigration) people are notoriously uninformed. Rules change from office to office and people within the office. I was polite to the officer (these are guys who can order "special" searches), but firm. His eyes went wide when I requested to see the manual (and informed him I could read Korean).

As for dangerous, the young customs guy never saw me with my bow and arrow or matchlock (I'm dangerous to all but my intended target)
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote