View Single Post
Old 29th February 2016, 11:13 AM   #12
mrcjgscott

Hello all,

The kukri Harry shows is a typical mid to late 20th century presentation kothimora.

This piece does not appear to have any military association. Similar kukri readily available commercially to this day, so anybody could go and buy one, but I have seen example which either have a presentation plaque attached the front, or which have come on a ready made stand which has said plaque attached.

As has already been stated, such examples usually carry a regimental badge in place of the standard crossed kukris, but not always.

As similar kukri are still produced today, so dating can be difficult. However, there is no reason that this example couldn't date back as far as the Falklands conflict, but naturally without any provenance or supporting evidence then that is as far as the attribution can go.

As they have been made over a long period of time, the quality can vary greatly, as can the silver content, purity and amount. As with most things, older tends to be better.

More often than not I see these pieces being given FROM gurkhas, rather than to them, usually officers and men who have either been posted alongside gurkhas in the field, etc. Part of the Gurkha tradition of gift giving to ones friends.

A good display piece, which will look good alongside your others, but I wouldn't attempt to chop anything with it.

All the best,

Chris
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote