View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:22 AM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Everything about Robert's knife says 1940s to 1960s to me. I like the well made hilt and the unusual blade. I do think it was a custom-made piece, especially with the horn inserts on the hilt. and the nice rounded cap to the end of the hilt. Often these were threaded and screwed over the end of the tang. Again, that feature was seen more commonly post-WWII.
This was one final point I meant, but forgot to address in my last reply. The brass finial at the end of the tang is not threaded nor does it screw onto the tang, but is fitted over what I believe to be a tapered square tang and peened into position securing the hilt firmly to the blade. Having had to remove the hilts from multiple Philippine transitional knives and daggers to repair damage usually caused by either age shrinkage or rust build-up on the tangs themselves, all so far have had square tangs. As I mentioned above the guard/bolster is not separate, but integral to the blade. I now realize that all information concerning the overall construction and fitment of the hilt should have been addressed in my original description instead of only describing the materials used in its make-up. My apologies for any difficulties this error has caused to those whos help and advice was offered on this knife.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote