View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2007, 05:00 AM   #1
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Vietnam or Cambodia?

During my last trip I picked up this piece at my favorite haunt - Chat tu Chak market in Bangkok (section 1 if you'd like to check them out Puff). The dealer had several that he claimed were Vietnamese swords from a dig in Bayang, Ta Keo Province, Cambodia. I did check this out on the map and there is an old ruin in Ta Keo province called Bayang along the cambodian/Vietnamese border. The largest sword had much the same segmented handle style, although in most the segments went right to the guard whereas this one is belled out at the guard. All were either brass or silver (had to scratch through the corrosion to tell and all were corroded, locked, into the scabbard save one. The scabbards were entirely covered with multiple thin bands of silver (some that broke at the touch). The one blade that was out of the scabbard was so corroded that the only thing identifiable was the profile. A profile that held the same curve as a Dha but tapered slowly from hilt to point with no belly swell.
Obviously I'm describing these because I forgot my camera that day.
The one below was in the best shape and was the only one whose scabbard wasn't completely covered with brass or silver.
All comments are appreciated as well as advise on whether I dare to try and clean and open it.

Dan
Attached Images

wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote