View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 02:09 PM   #18
ganjawulung

Thanks David, and Alan,

I should try to get the proper hilt to fit this Madurese patrem. And I will gather more information on "women keris" patrem. But what Shahrial told us, is also true although not completely true, that smaller keris is for boys.

Small kerises for women, also known in Javanese society. Sometimes, erronously called the smaller kerises or patrem with "cundrik". Cundrik (spelt as "choon-drik") itself is a certain dhapur's name (looks like small "pedang sabet" or kind of little sword). Some small kerises for "sajen" (sacrifice) in the Majapahit era or Mataram, also bears dhapur cundrik. Maybe because of many "sajen" kerises which are usually small, some Javanese people erronously called the small kerises as cundriks.

Weapon for women, in Javanese society, is not only in patrem form. There are also kinds of "secret weapon" for women. Usually they wear as a "tusuk konde" (stick for pinning the "gelungan" or rounded women hairs). Some weapon like this, sometimes with pamor too. This weapon, of course in the old days meant for women self-defense. (Today's woman, use special spray to guard themself from other's abuse in the street).

In some dancing, or wayang theater, women sometimes armed themselves with kerises. And their kerises, of course, the patrem type. Usuallly they don't put their patrem behind your waist like the men do, but in front of the waist. Usually, the sheaths are "sandang walikat".

I will search more information on this matter, Dave...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote