Thread: Oils
View Single Post
Old 11th March 2008, 03:00 AM   #9
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Well, I spoke with my wife yesterday, and I do not have good news.

For years I have bought my sandalwood oil from Toko Sedap in Pasar Gede, in Solo. She went there with my instructions for purchase, and was told that the oil that I have bought for more than 20 years is no longer available. It has become too expensive for them to stock.

What I use is not vintaged,steam distilled, cold pressed, gilt edged, Rolls Royce minyak cendana, it is just oil with a pleasant long lasting smell, and what was used at the time I started to use it, by most people in Solo who used minyak cendana.

I can probably find another supplier of satisfactory minyak cendana, but I can't get my wife to go chasing it, because this is outside her area of knowledge. Thus, it will have to wait till I go back to Solo later this year.
The last minyak cendana wangi I got it from my mother , she bought it from "akar sari" the traditional herbal (jamu) shop ( coyudan area of Solo ). it has a yellow oil with a smooth cendana smell. but here in Jakarta I find there are two tipes of cendana wangi oil. the white and the yellow oil. they have a slightly different in their smell. maybe it coused the the age of the sandal wood tree it self. Finding the cendana wangi wood is far more difficult these days. I mean the old wood ( approx 40 years old or older ) which produce the best fragrance for the oil.

Melati oil would be cheap enough to replace the cendana oil, ofcourse it's much much cheaper . but this is a personal preferance. once you like the cendana wangi odour, melati oil would be just an ordinary oil.

FERRY, JAKARTA
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote