View Single Post
Old 25th January 2017, 06:42 PM   #4
cornelistromp

Yes strange world.
a friend and authority in the field of medieval weapons had studied the sword at a very well known dealer in the UK in 2003.
Then, luckily he had taken records of all the measurements.
The length however did not correspond to the dimensions I gave him in 2011

After a long search we ( actually he did at the RA) found the old catalog of Sotheby 1935 where the sword was depicted. see Appendix. Oakeshott has also based his drawing in ROMS on the image in the catalog.

I have pictures of the sword taken in 2007 by a dealer and by then the sword was already extended.

The sword has been in possession of two UK dealers between 2003 and 2007.
one of the two has made the ridiculous decision between 2003 and 2007 to extend the sword to the estimated size that Oakeshott has given in ROMS.

Oakeshott was not very good in dimensions, he used the principle
"best he could recall" and after 56 years of seeing the sword, it became a guess I suppose.

this information , that the sword was 14 cm longer was known to me and submitted before the geometric study and exhibition, to Peter Johnsson and museum curator.

After the exhibition the new point which was fixed around the old one has been removed by the restorer of the museum, the sword is back to the original length.

Also inscriptions and details came forth after the thick layer of paint had been removed by the restorer.

the sword looks beautiful again

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 26th January 2017 at 01:38 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote