View Single Post
Old 5th January 2018, 04:16 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Gents,

Thank you one and all!

All of your suggestions are most welcome and helpful. It is presently too cold in Minnesota (-20ºC on my patio deck) for me to etch the blade--my wife has banished all etching to be done outside since I inadvertently etched the sink in her laundry. However, I can confirm that close inspection shows a laminated blade.

To my eyes this could well be a 19th C. blade originally, but I was being cautious earlier in saying pre-WWII. As far as being European-influenced, that was my thought also given the substantial bite out of the spine of the blade to create a very useful, and sharp, back edge. I think it's possible that this was made for, or used by, a European living in SE Asia.

Detlef, thanks for the suggestion that the hilt is a version of a makara. I had not thought of that. The hilt is made from horn and well rubbed over the years of use.

None of you esteemed gentleman has suggested an origin different from my "Indonesian (?)" suggestion, so I am assuming that you all agree with that attribution for my sword.

Thanks again for all the comments so far. Further suggestions are most welcome.

Ian.

P.S. I picked this one up about 10-15 years on an online site that is now defunct. It was labeled a Thai dha.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote