View Single Post
Old 17th October 2018, 09:10 AM   #5
Aslan Paladin

Thanks Charles, it is indeed going to be a stand out addition to my collection once it is restored. It is hard to find datu barongs of this type with the pommels intact (plume, beak and inlays).

Ian - rather than mother of pearl, I think the pommel inlays are either ivory (hopefully) or bone, with a few of the inlays inlaid themselves in the center with black dots probably made of water buffalo horn. The middle silver band is damaged, looks like missing a large section. The plaited silver wire bands appear to be intact though, maybe just needing to be fixed in place by soldering once the damaged band is fixed or replaced. The bottom part of the scabbard is also damaged and the blade is extensively pitted. But as you've said Jose will do a wonderful job on it - he was exactly who I had in mind to restore the sword when I decided to bid on it.

Sajen - If the middle band wasn't damaged like that I would have just taken the sword as is, the blade I could just smooth out myself and the damaged bottom part of the scabbard I would just leave alone. But we all know there is only one man who could do justice with regards to the type of restoration this sword deserves. And I think I did get a steal with the price I paid for it and it will be more obvious once it is finally restored to its old glory.
Aslan Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote