Thread: Barong again!
View Single Post
Old 13th November 2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Shakethetrees

Progress report:

A couple of new images.

I found some line that closely resembled the remaining foot of original fiber used. I figured I needed about 100 inches of twisted, two strand line to complete the wrap. I next waxed each length to make it more manageable and twisted them together by hand a few inches at a time. This gives a slightly inconsistent rate of twist for a closer match to the original.

Next I made a ferrule of some old white brass that I rolled to the correct thickness. The lines were filed in by eye and quickly giving them a certain randomness that the old one has.

While wrapping the grip the wax helped maintain a tightness and evenness. There is less of a tendency to unravel than un-waxed line would have.

Once the line was in place I put a dab of hide glue inside the ferrule to lock in the loose end. A good push against the edge of the table to seat everything into place, put it down, walk away for a day or so.

Next the blade tang was heated to a high red heat for about the first inch. It was plunged into the original resin full depth and propped up to cool off in correct alignment. I also made it a point to leave a bit of the line loose beneath the ferrule that I trapped in the liquid resin for added security.

Next, the scabbard break was cleaned of any dirt or gunk and hide glue applied. It was clamped and secured. A jig needed to be made due to the curving asymmetrical shape of the scabbard. Left overnight to dry, with the AC turned down to 65 degrees to pull out any ambient humidity.

Once dry I scraped a slight inconsistency from the backside and did a little artificial aging, using cigar ash and several different waxes.

Thanks to several images posted by members, I now know where I plan to go with the scabbard tip. Everything is glued in place, still needing a bit of carving.

Once I finish I will post some final images.

Any comments are welcome and encouraged!
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote