View Single Post
Old 10th May 2009, 06:33 AM   #28
Gonzalo G

Briefly, let see some facts:

1. The term is not used in spanish for any weapon. It seems a popular name used in other countries.
2. The main gauche have several names in spanish, but none is equivalent to ´swordbreaker´
3. The main gauche is used in the rapier fencing, and not with other kind of swords. It is mainly a civilian weapon, but not exclusively. We can differenciate very clearly the main gauche used in rapier fencing from other kind of weapons showed here.
4. The main gauche used in rapier fencing does not pretend to breake a sword blade, but only catch it or stop it, as it has been said before. Eventually, it is used to attack or to finish a wounded enemy.
5. I agree with kisak. The blades used in swords from this period have not the hardness as to break them. They are more easily bended.
6. The spanish rapier was generally made with a core of iron, with an outer envelope of steel. At least in Toledo. I don´t believe this rapiers are easily broken.
7. The rompepuntas (point breaker) has that popular name in their time (and not from a romantic writter), though its purpose was to deviate the point of the opponent´s sword from the hand, as it is a difficult maneuvre to catch the point of a sword with it and breake it. Neverthless, the point of a rapier is more fragile due its slenderness and the fact that it has not the iron core the rest of the blade has.
8. The chinese used to defend from a sword mainly with the use of a shield, and only the martial arts schools developed other defensive weapons, more or less experimental.
9. I also don´t believe that a nihonto could be broken with this kind of weapon, for the same reasons that in the case of the rapier. The soft core and the selected quenching, the multi laminated layers and the thickness of the blade, makes it very difficult.
10. I agree: the term is probably given from popular use, and is more a myth than other.
Regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote