View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 06:42 PM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... Fernando, I just know somewhere in that corpus of esoteric arms literature there must be something on these ...
Ah Ah Ah !
You are well aware that my vestigial library is composed of all possible mediocre stuff, only surpassed in mediocrity by its owner
In my imagination there must have been zillions of sword breaker types. Some could have been for the right hand, used in regular troops, by specialized sections, to disarm and break down the oponents first impact; these guys would have to be backed by efectively armed ranks, as having these things in their right (or both hands) they would be defenseless. This pattern of one type of impact weaponry being backed in battle by other, is often seen in classic battles (square); i wouldn't reject the idea of sword breakers having being an eventual resource.
As for the left hand sword breaker being more of a fantasy, this appears to be so virtual as the 'rompe puntas' in cup hilted swords; one wonders how much skill it takes to catch the opponent's balde tip inside that tiny cup rim and manage to brake it, without wasting the oportunity. Yes, the skill would be the oportunity, as i don't think it takes much strenght to break a blade tip. A bit like Judo fighting; the greater the balance of the opponent, the greater becomes the blow you apply. On the other hand, those trained guys surely had rather strong fists/grips/hands.
But let's see the precious stuff Michael is about to show us.
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote