Thread: Keris Betok?
View Single Post
Old 29th December 2005, 07:50 PM   #9
Henk

Nechesh,

It certainly isn't my intention to take the pleasure away by fellow collectors.

I don't say anything about the blade than that it is a new blade. It certainly is a well executed blade and you can use it in comparing it with other blades to see the differences between old and new blades.
I don't have problems with new blades at all. In my collection I do have a few keris with new blades. Lovely and well made. I'm very glad that today still beautiful keris are made for us collectors to expand our collection.

Even the ukiran is no problem. As a matter of fact fitting perfectly on a maduran keris and a nice piece of carving.

But the scabbard is really too much. The "authenticity" is a matter of taste and taste is a personel matter. For me it is the scabbard that takes all the authenticity away from the entire piece. I know that the maduran carving is rich and well executed and I have no problems with new traditions. But I would prefer a more "traditionally" carved maduran scabbard for this piece.

In my opinion a keris in such a scabbard is made for export purposes only.
I would like to compare it with those famous KNIL keris. A real keris but dressed in a cheap scabbard and ukiran for the dutch soldiers to bring home as a souvenir. Those keris are still mentioned as the first tourist keris. Although I don't have such a keris in my collection, such a keris with that story should be a part of any keris collection. And maybe I have to get used to a more fancy madura dress of the late 20th century. But that's my problem, I'm rather traditional and old fashioned
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote