Thread: Barong again!
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2014, 06:18 PM   #9
Shakethetrees

A progress report: the grip has been removed and the scabbard throat repaired and the original MOP plaque remounted.

I used hide glue after a quick soak in hot water to elasticize the split. The clamp remained in place for about 24 hours. During the clamping, I blasted the A/C down to 65 degrees which lowered the humidity. This pulled any latent moisture from the wood and glue allowing it to dry thoroughly.

The plaque was trial fitted after a cleanup of the joint, glue applied and pressed in carefully.

Next I pulled the grip by carefully with a straight acetylene torch held a distance from the blade. As soon as the resin started to bubble, it was no problem loosening the blade and drawing it out.

An examination of the grip revealed that the string wrapping appears to be made of plant fiber, two strands wound together to the left. Two of these strands were then wound together to the right. This gives a loose, interwoven feel to the finished string. I figure I need about 200 inches of it to do a good wrap. I guess I'll have to make it myself, as I don't think anything like it is available commercially.

The ferrule is of thin nickel or Monel, with two hand filed grooves about a sixteenth of a inch from the edges. I looking for some of this material, as today's nickel silver that is commercially available is a different alloy from that used pre WWII. I'll have to go to my junk pile and cannibalize something!

More later.
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote