View Single Post
Old 28th October 2009, 08:11 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Manolo,

No, they would not make miquelete locks in France ... did i say so ?

In a wider interpretation of the opinion i talked about, it could either be a French pistol with a Spanish lock or a Spanish pistol in a French decoration style.

" Na minha opinião trata-se de uma pistola de pederneira, com fecho espanhol , com muita influência francesa.
A fecharia é nitidamente espanhola, muito usada nas peças de exportação. Aliás de espanhol só tem a fecharia. Se tivesse uma fecharia à francesa a arma era francesa. Não é de excluir ter sido feita em França para o mercado espanhol ... "

The caliber, as said, is around 15 mm.
There are no marks or punctions.

BTW, let me tell you that, to my ignorant eyes, there is a great resemblance between the lock of the pistol you posted above and my example.
Is that pistol yours? Can you post pictures of the side plate? I heard that if the plate is fixed with several little nails, it could be a Rippol weapon.
Can you establish its origin ... Spanish? Ripoll? this is very important ... please tell.

I have also detected a pistol attributed to Ripoll production, with the barrel in a fashion similar to mine: first section with an upper 3/8 faces and the rest with 16 faces all round:

http://www.armasantiguas.com/avancarca/htm/1086bls.htm

I wonder if this barrel profile is a Spanish (or even Ripoll) exclusive fashion; that might also be a way to confirm the origin of my piece.

Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote