View Single Post
Old 7th January 2013, 07:41 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Just as the keris originated in Jawa, the badik originated in Sulawesi.

No argument about this.

Yes, the Bugis people were traders, travellers, pirates, and that's how the badik spread into many other areas. No argument about that.

However, this particular style of badik differs in a number of significant particulars with the style of badik that we can definitely attribute to Sulawesi.

Mr. van Zonneveld seems to think that based upon his research, this style of badik might come from Jawa.

More than 40 years ago I was told by dealer in Jakarta that the badik I had bought from him was not from Sulawesi, but from Jawa. During that same visit to Jawa I met a fellow in Malang who was from Makassar, and I asked him if he recognised this badik as of Sulawesi origin, he told me he had never seen a badik of this style in Sulawesi.

Over the years since then I've run this question past a few other people whom I thought might know. None have confirmed Sulawesi as a point of origin for this style, most have given the opinion that it is a Javanese style of badik.

On the basis of such evidence, which is really only opinion, I'm not prepared to come out in favour of either Jawa or Sulawesi, or somewhere else entirely, rather I do think that this matter is still open to question.

Incidentally, in respect of the blade, I am virtually certain that close examination would reveal that this blade is a replacement, and possibly part of a shortened Javanese pedang.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 7th January 2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: bad arithmetic
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote