View Single Post
Old 25th July 2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an intriguing, and most pertinent topic Ward, and thank you for bringing it to these pages for discussion.

It seems often that descriptions even in catalogs of weapons, as well as captions and labels in museums are often vague, misplaced, or optimistically cavalier in their accuracy, or lack thereof. I cannot even comment on the often bizarre cases seen on one of the major online venues!

In my opinion, often a degree of qualification is almost always needed, and laconic captions are almost always subject to misinterpretation in some degree . Listings such as 'Ottoman sabre' are virtually useless as the obvious complexities of this empire, particularly the vast area and ethnicities and cultured within it render such classification completely inert.

It is of course the same with 'Chinese' or worse, 'Oriental'. The term Oriental has been construed to include wide cultural and ethnic scope, with even Central Asia and India, and others factored in.

Many arms have had long working lives, and through trade, capture, or other manners of diffusion, have transcended many generations. In these cases, of course it would be hard if not impossible, to classify within a single denominator.
In the case of the fascinating shotgun, I would specify the original character and period of the gun, noting its continued use and modifications into other later times and conflicts.

For example:
A mod 18th c flintlock shotgun of the American Revolution, later converted to Percussion.
That would do for the heading, but subsequent detail,
'Used later in the War of Northern Aggression (also known as the Civil War) and held within a family for use through the Great Depression.

Naturally I would say, ....it depends on the purpose intended for the description'.
For a label on a display: 'Shotgun used during American Revolution'.
The continued history of the weapon is not required.
However, if for a display of WNA weapons, 'A Confederate Shotgun of American Revolution vintage'.

Ethnographic weapons are a particular challenge, and many forms considered indigenous to certain cultures or regions often carry obvious external influences. This especially the case with hybrids, such as 'an India tulwar with British M1788 blade'

The lists go on, but in my opinion, it is best to maintain clarity even at the expense of brevity. If it takes a few more words to be accurate, DO IT!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote