View Single Post
Old 28th November 2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Al Saidi type 1. See http://khanjar.om/Types.html

Fascinating item here. Oddly type 1 aren't that common in the north but often they appear in Salalah and I see items of this style from the Red Sea region thus I tend to think of Zanzibar/Red sea environs regarding these types...The type 1 comes in two different hilt lengths short and long. I think this one is short. What is apparent here is the odd belt~ When they were invented (in about 1830 by the wife Sheherazad ) these Khanjars went all over the region as popular and trendy at the time. Typically they would have gone by ship to Zanzibar and Red Sea regions possibly then onwards to Saudia Arabia..or up the Gulf by ship or camel train which is why this one has a non Omani Belt.(Bahraini).. The Bahraini belt style may be part of the story with this weapon...So what is the whole plot here?

This is in fact a Salalah Khanjar with a Bahraini belt. The Style almost a Type 1 with the slight variation of the cross belt below the waist of the scabbard commonly seen in Salalah !! How did that happen? Trade? Fashion? War? Who can tell?
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote