View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2005, 05:03 PM   #6
erlikhan

If you visit Turkey's Black Sea region, you will see that ethnic Lazs are all Muslim, live mainly out of Trabzon province, you must go east in Rize and Artvin till Georgian border to see them in small population like 100.000 and in Trabzon people can accept "Laz" as just something folkloric if anybody calls them so for joke or something like that, but almost none of them accept Laz identity when somebody seriously names them so ethnically,insisting even can cause fight sometimes. I havent heard anything like Laz Janissaries, as Lazs have been Muslim since centuries ago, so how could they be taken as janissary? But if there are available sources about it, i would like to examine. I think many people abroad, confuse local Black sea Greeks, who lived in that region till 1920's as a minority and Lazs somehow, and as far as i observe, generally western collectors like combining every weapon type from any part of the world to individual separate tribes, but according to me, the nuances in styles dont have so definite micro ethnical but more geographical origins in larger scales.
regards

Last edited by erlikhan; 22nd September 2005 at 05:36 PM.