View Single Post
Old 25th April 2008, 11:08 PM   #22
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I do not want to appear difficult but repoussage is an ancient global technique. Even Pre Columbian Native North Americans worked copper this way.
You are not being difficult. You bring out a great point I was not talking about the technique as much as these patterns. And I never meant to imply Islamic was the only influence on these patterns. Yes decorations of plant life have been used throughout the world. Depictions of birds are often attibuted to Hindu influences. As noted in "Hands of Time" by Barbara Leigh noted that Wakelin-king suggests that Indonesian designs, and indeed most designs from the western pacific region frequently conform to some or all of the following characteristics: a predispositions to arrainge motifs within compartments, the use of two dimensional rectilinear and curvilinear motifs appearing in bands or withinclearly demarcated zones, a tendency towards endless repetition, a tendency to use shallow relief forms on a flat surface in incised designs rather than sculptural or plastic forms, and a dominance of major tonal contrasts or absence of polychrome design ingredients so that the design can clearly be "read" in black and white. The floral and faunal motifs are often attributed to costal muslim influences, Some of the geometric motifs may be also though others can be traced back to the Dongson Period and these are certainly also an influence. Sumatran geometric influences can be traced back further , to approximately 2000 BC so they are also pre islamic. So I would love to hear other ideas on the origination of these motifs. Even if those ideas prove I am very wrong
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote