Thread: Omani barrel.
View Single Post
Old 24th August 2015, 04:37 PM   #11
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
David,

Yes, an air-space/gap between powder and projectile will do it, but it still sounds odd that Ibrahiim has seen quite a few that let go all at the same place, described as the first joint. (Apparently about 1/3 of the way from breech to muzzle) I have no good idea why this should be a consistent place to blow.

Best wishes,
Richard.
Hi Richard.
It is unusual for these barrels to burst in the same location, the so called first ring each time. Hmmmm. I'm wondering if these Omani barrels have a larger breech chamber as compared to the actual bore size at the muzzle end? Similar to the Torador barrels, which I'm convinced do have. If so, and the taper begins near that first ring, that might be the reason for the failure at that point. Improperly loaded, you could end up with a bore obstruction similar to what David mentions above. I've never seen one of these barrels first hand, but they appear to have a threaded breech plug. (?) If so, it would be interesting to remove the breech plug in one of these barrels to see if that's the case. A barrel that had been burst would be a good opportunity to try this. Meantime, a small piece of wire through the vent hole and measuring that length (less the barrel wall thickness) and comparing it to the bore size at the muzzle end might give you an idea. Just a thought.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote