View Single Post
Old 11th June 2005, 11:05 PM   #15
tom hyle

I want to give my initial impressions before becoming confused by those who know more about k(e)ris than I do; I tend to get lost in the terminology and confused sometimes by other people's thoughts. Lovely, and with all the look of a very deadly weapon. I will assay nothing to do with place or age, as I've little doubt others have already told you that quite precisely, and my input would be both irrelevant and superceded. The blade seems to have a fairly crisp etch; probably one you can feel? It is not stained, which I'll just leave as a lone statement. The edge lamination does not appear to be a vastly different alloy from the body of the blade (the etching has not darkened either significantly more, though the main weld is quite visible in places, and we seem to be looking at the usual [but not universal] sandwich mai construction....). The handle carving is beautiful. I find the hollowed depiction of the feet, almost Mexican-Magic-Jesus-style (and the whole statue is in a style that reminds me of more Eastern Pacific work, and even Pacific coastal American Indian work), fascinating. The first thing I see with the left hand is that the line that divides the two middle fingers continues beyond the hand quite far (unlike the right hand), and appears to be a crack or other long flaw in the wood. Does this area seem to be darker and less clearly grained than the rest of the wood? I can't tell from the photos. Several types of such areas (scars, knots, burls, or even just the heart of the wood) can be oddly grained, often extra hard and brittle, and difficult to carve, so all this argues for an accident, likely during production, as you say. The figure is beautiful, but stylized and simplistic; it does not seem to have any intricate detail, and this also may argue for a lower-teir carver who might make such errors (I think I could almost carve this in good carving wood, and they probably wouldn't let me make wooden things and sell them in your country, Wolviex; just guessing based on Germany, actually though; there's still a guild there, last I heard, which was about AD 2002..... ). On the other hand, there are other differences. The thumb is similarly vague and rounded, but the two full length fingers seem strikingly more lifelike and wellformed on the left hand than any of the right. Is this a known meaningful gesture? The crack/flaw would then make sense as something in the wood that the caver blended into the carving.
As for the other crack and the slight protrusion of the tang, I have become intriqued by Laban Tayo's statement that the wedge shaped tang on a sword of his that seems to exhibit a similar situation was pushed out by hilt shrinkage; perhaps that relates in some way? Damage is of course real, but in truth, more of it occurs to swords (at least in these times) from neglect, travel, and exposure to air than from mechanical trauma.
On a linguistic side note, "Woman impersonation" makes a kind of comically out of place phrase in N American English; it's similar to a common vernacular term for male to femal cross-dressers ("female impersonator").
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote