View Single Post
Old 13th July 2022, 05:08 AM   #7
naturalist

Thank you so much Ki Amuk.
I did notice that those blades are recently made, the red "tactical style" cord is now happening in the recent production of golok. But i do like it since it has no ricasso . Also it seems the blades fall into your explanation on the differences between golok vs pedang (on the "v" grind and convex grind). Recently made goloks, with the strong knives brotherhood forums movement in Indonesia, is experiencing (at least) it's second "modernization/westernization" after Tjikeruh era back to end of 1800s and early 1900s. Now the "tactical golok" made of high end steel will (mostly) have ricasso and full flat grind (under Ki Amuk explanation, full flat grind is no longer called as a golok). Will post my newly made Baduy Goloks all in sulangkar and traditional pakem (pattern).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul View Post
Hullo everybody!

Just some info about Golok Tjiomas:

Back in the day, the most famous/notorious “fighting” golok among the Soenda was Golok Tjiomas.
It was known for its keenness and strength.
Much favoured by Banten djawara (champions) was the short Salam Noenggal version.(In contrast to their rivals from Garoet, who favoured the long golok of Tjibatoe, Garoet.)
One of the characteristics of Golok Tjiomas was that it had “pin-stripes” along the blade, known as “soelangkar”.
Thus Golok Tjiomas was synonymous with Golok Soelangkar.
The Salam Noenggal version was so named because of its popularity among djawara. “Salam Noenggal” means “single greeting”. As it was usually only drawn in earnest, the blade was coated in toxins; one scratch and one can “kiss mother-earth goodbye”.
There were four basic types: tjandoeng, kembang katjang, salam noenggal and mamantjoengan.(see photos)

Best,
naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote