Thread: FRINGIA
View Single Post
Old 9th November 2009, 10:45 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi David, and thanks for the note and adding that page illustrating this term and variants with the 'sickle' marks!!

Samuel, its great to see your absolutely magnificent response, and thank you so much for the detail and clarifying my statement. Your post was exactly what I look for in responses, well thought out and supported statements, and not in the least bit 'rambling'!!! Thank you for the kind words on my research and good notes on that word 'hancar/handszar', which is apparantly the probable orogin of the term 'hanger' for shorter swords of the familiar forms we see in European military etc.
I had read about the origins of that term years ago, but could not find a satisfactory connection with my limited understanding of linguistics.

I am wondering what the Turkish 'loan' word that originated 'fringia' as 'fine steel'?
On those swords and weapons depicted in coats of arms and many forms of classical illustration, most of these are quite fanciful and we cannot really rely on them for interpretations of contemporary weapons. I've run into this so many times, and recently trying to establish the form of a sword in earlier period, the depictions were of the same almost cartoonish style often seen in the same literature referring to 'scimitar'. This is of course more a literary term than actual sword type, though the shamshir is believed the source of the term.

I really do appreciate the extraordinary attention you have given to describing the development of these units, and better explaining what my statement should have said. If my wife (my editor in chief!!! would have seen that comment it would've been the old bop on the head!!!

I have always considered the extremely complex history of Eastern Europe and the Balkans one of the most fascinating theatres of study, and I'm so glad to have your input and well written observations placed here.
Your excitement on these topics is much appreciated, and again, may thanks!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote