View Single Post
Old 14th February 2018, 04:42 PM   #22
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Roland,

I can not answer for Steve, but would like to say that etching and browning are separate proceedures.
I know you know this already, but sometimes it can get confused.
A browned barrel can show the figure perfectly, as the iron/steel absorbs the acid in a different manner, to show the beauty of the pattern.
An etched barrel can also be browned , and still shows the beauty of the pattern as well, but the difference is that an etched barrel will also show "Undulations" , or light contouring of the surface as in the above barrel.
(Steel and iron eaten away at differing rates.)

This contouring will not show on a merely browned barrel, ...only the pattern.

This was just to clarify.

Kindest regards,
Richard.

Hello Richard,

thank you very much for your explanation. In Germany we know no difference between etching and staining. I learned this difference from Mr. Alan Maisey. Yes I understand the difference since a few months.
I wrote etching because in the book "Oriental arms and armour" Lord Eggerton says Indian barrels are etched until there is a relief in the surface and he describes pretty detailed how they did that. The book: On Damascus Steel" from Dr. Figiel shows exactly the same type of pattern welded barrel on page 138 and 139 and this barrel is relief etched (at least I`m sure about that). But the patternd welded swords seem to be stained not etched. I guess a relief etching is more durable on barrels, which become hot from shooting and often oiled.

Please correct me, if I write something wrong. This is the only and best way to learn more!

Best wishes and thank you again for your explanation,
Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote