View Single Post
Old 7th May 2010, 01:50 PM   #40
Mytribalworld

One of the tricks of the trade in the furniture restoration business is to moisten a small pad of cloth with gum turpentine and using car polish you polish off the filth on old french polished, shellaced or varnished surfaces.

You can get a quicker result if you use 0000 steel wool , and also if you use a clean and polish paste rather than just a polish paste, but you then run the risk of going through the finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaukudi
Indeed in the case if it was only to remove dirt steel wool shouldn't be nessesary to get " a quicker result". Steel wool removes also surface scratches and more of the original patina than you want ( or not).
Patience is always the best in doing restorework course its mostly not reversable.

Please don't compare ethnographic object with furniture !!!

The presence of patina on an ethnographic objects makes a big part of the prize. Any change/remove/cleaning of the object's patina will certainly lowere the value.

I am not enough into kerisses and haven't seen Sajens object in real ( always difficult too see patina on pics only) to say what was the best in this case. All I know if that I have sold some Tajons in the past and I am sure that the clients who bought them ( but they are art collectors) whould not be interested if I should have polished them up with steel wool.
Gladly there are also keris collectors who doesn't mind.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote