View Single Post
Old 28th February 2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

RhysMichael, Thank you for responding and for the link. That is a very interesting sword in itself. I have heard that in the late 19th and early 20th century that aluminium was sometimes used to decorate in the same manor as silver and wasn't considered a cheap metal until later in the 20th century.

Lew, I'm very happy with this so I guess I won't be sending it out to you. Like you said "It is better than average quality". The overall finish of the knife is a lot better than it looks in the pictures as I sharpened them quite a bit to help show the details. As trade between the countries of the world was a common thing I would think that aluminium could possible have been available in some of the larger cities of the Philippines earlier than the 1940s and 50s. I'm not trying to say that this is early 20th century as I too believe it to be from the second quarter of the 20th century. I would however like to know if anyone has any examples of Philippine weapons that have been identified to be from the late 19th or early 20th century that have aluminium fittings or decorations that they would like to post. Thank you both for your interest and comments.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 28th February 2009 at 06:01 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote