View Single Post
Old 16th December 2022, 07:33 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Well Sid, all your questions are valid as well as the questioned raised by those who commented.
When i made my original remarks i was viewing this on the small screen of my cellphone. On my computer now i can see why certain aspects of this blade have raised a red flag or two. As Alan pointed out, it is clear looking at this on a larger screen that the gonjo is a replacement. Exactly when that happened is impossible to tell and as Alan pointed out, such a later addition can indeed be legitimate. I can also see why Anthony is questioning the pamor if this blade originated in Bali. Is Lombok a possible alternative? Possibly. If i am not mistaken Lombok keris ventured into more unusual dhapurs than those made in Bali.
This said i would say i still like this keris. I also still feel the pamor is fairly well controlled and the keris is an attractive one. So the question for you is do you still like the keris and find to attractive even if the origins of this blade might be as Alan described? Alan's experience with similar keris does seem to answer some of the questions this unusual blade brings up. But there are also many oddities that pop up in the keris world that are simply legitimate oddballs. When we are presented with a keris like this we need to weigh all the possibilities and come to our own conclusions which we may never be able to confirm or prove wrong. So in the end we just have to decide if it is something we truly like and if our investment in obtaining the keris was a reasonable one given all the possibilities.
David is offline   Reply With Quote