View Single Post
Old 16th June 2022, 10:54 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

There definitely are valid finds of all sorts of things in Jawa, and to a lesser degree in Bali.

In Central Jawa finds have been frequent and ongoing for at least the last 50 years, that is from personal experience, and I'm certain that there were many finds before I ever went anywhere near Jawa.

Here is one of the best known finds of the recent past:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonoboyo_hoard

I have seen people bringing found items to dealers in Solo & in Jogja, very often grave goods, sometimes a hoard of valuable items, things like bronze bells or weapons. I have seen found objects brought in for sale that are covered in volcanic deposits.

In the markets of Central Jawa we can find a lot of genuine found objects. I have a couple of cabinets full of these things.

Regrettably the iron weapons are often too far gone to even attempt any sort of rescue, but where very old keris are concerned people will always try to rescue whatever they can, simply because very old keris are always in demand by Javanese collectors, who believe that old keris, no matter what condition they might be in, exercise a calming influence on younger keris.

Just outside of Solo there are the Ngandong fossil beds, this place has massive deposits of fossils relating to early man, fossils fall out of the banks of the Solo river after floods, and are exposed during the dry season. Local people collect these finds and sell them to dealers in Solo & Jogja. Foreign buyers then buy by the truck load and attempt to get the stuff out of the country, these Europeans & Americans are usually caught and get a nice long holiday in one of Indonesia's delightful, government owned holiday resorts --- these places are a bit like the Hotel California of Eagles fame:-

"Relax, " said the night man
"We are programmed to receive"
"You can check-out any time you like"
"But you can never leave!"

Places like the well known Kerobokan Resort in Bali.

Well, just as there are these massive pre-historic deposits, there are also many deposits from later periods. Roaming bands of bandits have always been a problem in the Javanese countryside, in times past if there were bandits in the area people would bury items of value, these people were sometimes killed by the bandits, sometimes they simply could not remember where they had buried things, a few hundred years later a farmer getting a field ready for planting finds the buried goods and sells them.

Then there were the volcanic eruptions, these buried a lot of things, including very large buildings. Jawa is perhaps the most volcanically active area on earth.

We must not forget the grave yards. It is widely known that smiths in the smithing settlements between Solo and Ngayogyakarta excavated weapons deposited as grave goods and used the material to produce new products.

However, all the recent underwater finds are a pretty new phenomenon. I do know one gentleman engaged in this business of finding things on the floor of Bengawan Solo, I know him quite well in fact. I would prefer not to comment.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote