View Single Post
Old 1st August 2022, 07:18 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is truly a wonderful exemplar of this most important and as it has become apparent over the years, far more complex sword form than realized by collectors previously. While your particular areas are 16th and 17th centuries, and as you note this appears to be 18th century, it has been suggested somewhat convincingly that the hilt form actually had origins much farther back into the 17th.

I am so glad you shared this as it gives us the opportunity to not only examine this example, but to look further into the form overall. While I have been an avid student of these and most Spanish colonial edged weapons forms for many years, it seems I always have far more questions than answers.

Over the years we have had many discussions on the 'bilbo' type hilt as well as the various kinds of blades on them, and it seems that the most comprehensive insights presented have been from Fernando and Middelburgo,
Still, many questions remain.

On this, clearly the first question is regarding the outstanding inscription and what does it say. The 1720 date is interesting, is it saying the blade is Solingen, 1720? This would add impetus to the commonly held notion that the blades for Spanish swords were provided by Solingen prior to the establishment of the Toledo factory in 1761.

That leads to the question, just when did the blades acquire the 'Spanish motto'? and were they German produced or did these become popular in the new Toledo works post 1761? Obviously not pertinent to this example, but key I think in the study of the form.

The hilt style here is important also, and this is wire wrapped with Turks heads while the larger proportion of these carry the four retaining bars or posts over the wire wrap.

Attached in my example which has the Ayzavilla mark and the crown over T suggesting this is likely Toledo works c 1761+ and potentially one that was in the Louisiana-Florida sphere of New Spain.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote