View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2021, 06:01 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmereya View Post
thank you for the interesting response and mentions on publication of studies on the typology of swords of this period ,.
I am glad that not only I paid attention to these details.
Of course, in a military weapon, which is not only specially created to fulfill its practical purpose, but actually did its job, .. and even if it is viewed through the veil of centuries, some kind of sacred meaning is always seen.
With all respect, Andrew.
Well noted Andrew.
Symbolism is well nuanced in many forms of ethnographic edged weapons, which are not regulated by official ordinances or patterns as with military arms. However as noted, while military weapons are of course pragmatically designed, there are features which can be added for purposes beyond the basic features.

This of course would exceed your premise concerning incorporated design elements in the original structure.
To your key point however, I would note that even with early swords, there was indeed symbolism, for example with Viking era swords and earlier, the pommel was not just for balance etc. but often a reliquary which held important talismanic or religious items or relics.
These were often lashed to the pommel on a flat surface.

Later swords often had pommels cast to replicate the lashed character of these earlier types in an almost silhouette fashion. Clearly the convention of talismanic power within the earlier pommels were intended to be conveyed intrinsically or perhaps only traditionally, but whatever the case..
symbolic.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote