View Single Post
Old 25th February 2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Michael,
As always, magnificent items, and it is incredible to see all the work and creativity that went into things that would otherwise been considered simple utilitarian implements to accompany the firearms of the times.

I always think it is interesting to see the artwork applied to material culture and how it compares to the actual art of the periods associated. While the markings and inscriptions on the weapons themselves often carry varying degrees of symbolism beyond the commercial and perhaps even mundane bureaucratic purposes of the time, it is interesting to consider what type of symbolism might have been imbued in the applied art on these items, or if any other than simple aesthetics.

I suppose one example of such applied art used on weapons of these times
would be the 'Holstein' daggers and use of his "Dance of Death" artwork.

In looking at these powder flasks, I was somehow drawn to the screws and began to think about how amazing it was that these simple pieces of hardware have remained virtually unchanged through so many centuries of advances in technology. I cant help but wonder more on how long this simple element has existed as used on weaponry. Simplistic I know, but always just curious.

Thank you for these great photos!!!

All the best,
Jim

All the
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote