View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:18 PM   #13
olikara

Lightbulb The Khukri and others

Chris,

Thank you for your detailed notes here. The Shimoga frieze as per my understanding shows a medium length recurved sword and certainly not a bichwa as can be understood from the way that the grip is clutched.

I agree with you in full measure that many forms what we call 'indigenous' may not be so and you have rightly narrated the case of the 'Indians' of North America. Here it is very important to know if we have older representations of the Khukri in Nepali or Eastern Indian art and can show it's time trail. I am not sure if Spiral is around but he can surely help us here.

Much of the Nepalese nobility had origins in North India after the Muslim incursions and weapon form transfer may have taken place from India to Nepal too.

You raised a very important question here of typology and if we can relate it to hilt or blade form. I'd go with the blade any time as it is the one distinguishing factor for an edged weapon, but others would have their own views.

Chris, temple friezes are the most important method to understand Indian weaponry and it's evolution over time and this is an aspect that has not been studied very hard so far. So your thread is an outstanding piece to understand this evolution.

I have attached a pic of the frieze with the katar highlighted for you. I intend to visit the museum again later this week and take better and more pictures of this frieze as it is undoubtedly an important one from both the sword as well as the katar perspective. Maybe we shall be clearer here with better pictures of both.

Nidhi
Attached Images

olikara is offline   Reply With Quote