View Single Post
Old 5th December 2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus den toom
At the advice of Fernando i am starting a new topic on my previously announced new purchase, the breechloading chamber from a cannon.

As a young collector i have to scout for any opportunity for something great to roll into my direction. The first time i had such a stroke of luck was when i bought a German wheel lock covered with rust and dirt. After cleaning there where several marks on the lockplate placing it to Nurmberg 1625. After this i bought a breechloading chamber for a rifle. If this was not fun enough, some months later i bought a book in which the original rifle was documented with a twin of the breechchamber i got.

All good and fun, but this doesn't happen every week... so my search for some affordable treasure takes me trough piles of unaffordable treasure (so if you got a box full of non confederate money and you want to convert it to something nice, call me )
Coming to my latest purchase and towards the end of this story that is getting way out of hand... A Breech chamber for a 16 century cannon (probably a swifelgun). Found in the Sea of cortez, this item is heavily corroded. It measures 20 cm (8 inch) in lenght and seeing as it lay on the seafloor for probably 400 years, it looks respectably well.

If anyone could provide additional information or give me some advice on how to clean this or not to clean this but preserve etc.. well you know, just start typing

Hi Marcus,

Once more I must say that I like that ca. 1540 mug-shaped interchangeable breech of yours a whole lot!
For more than 20 years I had a similar one, only slender and about 100 years earlier, ca. 1440, which is extremely early for breechloaders; it now is in 'Nando's collection!
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...oading+chamber

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote