View Single Post
Old 12th November 2013, 09:32 PM   #71
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsa
Battara,
Fantastic cleaning job on the Kris. Its a stunning improvement - however it does leave me pondering where the line can be drawn between enhancing antique metal and going too far.

Im under the impression its not recommended to remove the patina of an antique weapon. Horsa
In regards to "enhancing antique metal", IMHO tarnish is not the same as patina. Precious metals such as silver and gold (suassa) are meant to shine. Even when i watch the Antique Roadshow they suggest that silver items are meant to be kept in polish. I think José has done a crackerjack job bringing this old weapon up to snuff.
However, were i personally draw the line is at adding on pieces that we assume might have once been there, especially when we are unsure. Firstly we need to ask ourselves if we are really capable of doing the job so that it doesn't look like modern add-on work. Will the materials and craftsmanship perfectly match? I have rarely seen modified antique weapons done by anybody were their modern modifications aren't immediately obvious as such. Secondly there is the history of the piece which i feel should be preserved at all costs. Many kris have just a single baka-baka, perhaps more than have two. I am not clear whether this is simply a matter of taste or style or what. Now IF this is actually the same weapon as the one pictured with Datu Piang then it did indeed seem to have had two baka-baka at one time. But we have no evidence of how or why one of those baka-baka were removed. Was it lost, broken or removed by choice of style? How do we in the modern age then decide if it belongs there or not? IMHO José, the kris looks fine as it is. If it had NO baka-baka at all i could see at least some reason to add one in order to secure the hilt properly, but given the current condition of piece i just wouldn't mess with the history of it. If it truly is Datu Piang's keris that history should be preserved, not enhanced.
David is offline   Reply With Quote