View Single Post
Old 9th August 2016, 09:54 PM   #15
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Quite possible.

Are these restored older knives or swords, or are they newly made with some older parts? To me these are newly made in an older style, especially when decorative features are added that were not originally present. As such, when I see nearly perfect decorative work (koftgari, hilts) on what should be an old blade I am very suspicious that this is the work of a modern craftsman and not an antique example.

That's why I am immediately suspicious of specimens that appear to be too good to be true--like the excellent example that you have shown at the head of this thread which is almost flawless. My immediate reaction is to ask why this is not a recently made/put together piece, or an older plain piece that has been dressed up recently to look better or more important (i.e., more expensive) than it should.

You have excellent provenance for your lovely knife and I have no problem accepting that it is a superb example of an antique knife.
Almost flawless is the second example. The first one has, unfortunately, far too many signs of very old age (pitting, cracks, missing parts, almost petrified leather spacers and extremely old walrus ivory). It is however in very good condition in comparison with some less fortunate contemporaries.

To my knowledge, unfortunately, there are no contemporary bladesmiths capable of making such minute detailed engravings. As I don't know any contemporary artists working in the old true damascening technique.

The second one is not restored, but completely made anew. But made anew in precisely old style and using an old, original 18th century blade. So blade and style old, everything else new.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote