View Single Post
Old 29th November 2013, 05:53 AM   #7
twdroppoint2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Nonoy Tan is right. I'd even say for other groups to. The tang is cut in a way where the tang fits into the slot in the handle with the iron collar for reinforcement.

I also want to add that this piece may be later as well, like WWII.....

As far as modified, I think it is the part opposite the collar.
That's cool ... after looking at some pics from Nonoy Tan's other posts, I saw the resemblance immediately. Most of the other axe handles I saw from just "generic" Googling seemed to be thinner and with a notch or something in them where the hand might hold the axe. It was nice to further nail it down.

As far as it being from a later period, possibly WWII ... it could be. The previous related items I had in the collection, however, were brought over from a WWI vet from that time (2 spears and a dart quiver for example). It was agreed by a local buddy of mine who collects such things that they were late 1800's (the other items), etc ... but I don't know of course. I have to appeal to authority on most of these items, and that's the level of how I'm versed in them I am trusting second hand sources, so I suppose it's possible this is from WWII in era, but the original owner who brought them over, *his family* claimed he did so after his WWI tours.

Thanks again to everyone who responded, I am always appreciative when the knowledgable share their knowledge Many thanks

Last edited by twdroppoint2; 29th November 2013 at 06:10 PM.
twdroppoint2 is offline   Reply With Quote