View Single Post
Old 29th June 2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Thanks Atlantia. You mention a double blade-inflicted wound may be harder to patch up. But Jim says the double blade is a possible hindrance for penetration. Would this suggest that those who used double-bladed bichwas tended to slash (like Jim suggested of the Marathas), and the lead blade would make the initial cut, and the second would follow to deepen the wound...?

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the info-packed response and the encouragement.
The old posts are a great reservoir of information, and usually, even if they have topics not directly pertinent to your search, it's very interesting. Oftentimes it triggers more questions.
The variations in "bichwas" is very interesting. Everything from a curved dagger, to the same blade on a loop, to double blades on a loop, to a knuckle-duster style handle with the dagger blade, to a set of bagh-nakh claws on the loop... My feeling is that the variants must have been more an issue of personal preference rather than regional taste? ... or would it be both?
Hi KuKulzA28,
Yes, Jim is entirerly correct. The double blade in this format would hinder penetration, and unless razor sharp in the inside, would 'bunch up' material inbetween the blades.
So saying, a stab would doesn't need to be up to the hilt to cause problems of course, and I don't see this as a weapon meant to kill, more a secondary weapon for disabling or wounding.
I imagine that it would be good for slashing, well raking, as the cuts would be very unlikely to follow the same track continually, rather drawing two ragged cuts probobly very close, at some points parallel, some overlapping, other places falling into sync and cutting deeper.
Thing about two parallel cuts close together is that they are very hard to stitch. Often its simply not possible.
This may mean that a light/moderate wound might keep a fighter from returning to battle, or a wound might be more likely to infect etc.
Also, even stabbing would produce horrible wounds which would be difficult to treat, and would cause similar problems.
Just some thounght, I've never seen a paper on how these were used in battle or even their style of use.
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote