View Single Post
Old 7th October 2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Klas Larsson

I have seen rather long and thick smoking pipes for sale at a Chinese weapons dealers a few years ago, they where made of iron and overly robust, looking more like a Chinese mace than anything else, and he sold them as "concealed" weapons. I imagine they can be very efficient in a fight, and more so if you are good with swords and sabers.

I was reminded of that the other day when, at an auction, I saw some big opium pipes, and they struck me as really over sized and very thick and heavy, good enough for blunt trauma. The opium den of the late Qing dynasty may have been a not so safe place, particularly for a well dressed gentleman, and one with a woozy head... so they may come in handy there.

Quote:
I wonder if there are 'forms' for pipe fighting ...?
There is a form for chop stick fighting here... not bad at all, its in the Xinyi Chuan tradition. On the some video, there is an elderly gentleman doing nice short saber / Dao form, that would fit well into the concept of of pipe fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfwLX...eature=related

The chop stick form is in the end, but the other stuff is interesting to, if you like CMA. The little boy in the very beginning does some Xinyi Qigong moves that are for generating energy, nice.

I do a double stick form that is originally a double dao form, now using two 80-90 centimeter long red oak staffs, and that works well the other way around, doing it as double dao form. I have done it often with with dao down to 50 centimeters, and two big heavy pipes would fit right into it just as well you block with one and hit with the other
Klas Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote