View Single Post
Old 24th August 2019, 04:53 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nice examples!!!
The larger of the two appears to have an old blade which has been remounted in Kassalawi form probably more recently, but I believe the guard is old. Ed will be the better judge of that.
The mark appears to be the well known Sudanese interpretation of the Peter Kull marking(Bezdek p. 145) of c. 1847-60, actually a fly.
The Sudanese version of this recognizes the fly (=duran) as representing a nimble warrior, quick and agile.
These markings appear in good number on kaskara of the Ali Dinar period (c. 1910) in Darfur. Clearly the markings as on this blade are stylized compared to the original Kull marking (illustrated below)

The smaller one, I do not think these were childrens, and I believe were genuinely worn in a shoulder strap. The use of the significant lizard hide as well as the blades on these seem to be cut down from full size to be more readily worn in this manner and used in close quarter situations. These were also less cumbersome in consistent wear.

The image of what is believed to be a Baggara tribesman wearing one of these in this manner, but note the full size kaskara under saddle.

The fact that the blades often still carry markings that were talismanically significant to the warrior and totemically powerful (the hides on grip and scabbard) suggests these were used by warriors. Swords with these properties I do not think would be summarily offered to children. As far as I know, there were no women in the warrior forces.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote