Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:17 PM   #30
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thanks to Michael Blalock for the inclusion of more pictures showing the sword with a Yemeni tribal chief. It may not however detract from the general view that this is a Bukharan style . Yemeni Bukaran links are considerable in the religious field including architecture and religious linkages. The Yemen is perhaps the root birthplace of the Omani Battle Sword often called Sayf Yemaani...possibly made in Hadramaut… but a more direct link is more difficult to assume or prove.

I noted earlier the potential here for an Algerian blade and would add to that the likelihood of Yemeni Jewish involvement in the well crafted silver and the typical big architectural style in the hilt somewhat reflected in other weapon parts like the monumental, architectural crown at the end of the scabbard of Yemeni Daggers.

Trying to identify Mosque domes as linked to these weapons is impossible in my view... For example with say Iranian Mosque domes... but the Sayf Yemaani must pre date Islam in Iran if it did come to Oman in 700 to 752 AD as the Ibaathi battle Sword. The link between the Omani and Yemeni/ Bukharen sword shown here is in my opinion insufficiently explored...More research needed I suggest.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote