Thread: First Keris
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2007, 06:59 AM   #1
t_c

Default First Keris

You never really appreciate how exciting it is until it's actually in your hands!
This is the first Keris in my collection (one kris though ). I may have paid a bit too much but I just really loved the aesthetics/form of the handle and blade and was very happy to find one like this. The keris is smaller than I expected (31cm ~ 12.5"overall), but that's ok. The piece needs a little TLC though (cleaning, scabbard restoration, and a mendak?). I don't know what the origin is (I'm still learning a lot); my best guess is that it's (mid?) 20th century Malaysian, but I would appreciate any input on region, age, etc.

I have a couple of restoration questions too as I'm planning on cleaning the blade and restoring the scabbard.
First: How would the blade surface be traditionally finished based on it's origin: a simple etch with citrus or a full "stain" with an arsenic compound? How widespread was the practice of treating blades with arsenic? The photos don't pick it up really well, but the blade seems to be well laminated.
Second: I need to put an end cap on the scabbard, but traditionally would the end cap match the wood at the top or was it solely at the artist's discretion. I am thinking of using tagua nut (fake ivory) for the cap. I have seen this on some scabbards (not necessarily keris) using ivory and really like it.

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by t_c; 5th June 2007 at 07:13 AM.
t_c is offline   Reply With Quote