View Single Post
Old 20th January 2012, 12:26 AM   #22
Edster

Lew,

Fantastically cool. That sword with the sunburst mark is a Suliman Shammish (sun). I have its almost identical mate with just the top part shown on p.6 of my Kassala sword paper. Mine was reportedly made in Kassala "more than 70 years ago (in 1984) That would put it in c. 1915-16. My notes say "maker saw man making like them when he was small." That would suggest that the style is much older.

From field notes. The Shaykh of the Blacksmiths, Musa Malit said that "in 1918 no one makes swords. Swords came from Europe, Ethiopia, made by companies. People in the country only carried spears and knives. People bought swords from soldiers from Mussawa, Eqypt and Turks. They traded spears for swords after the Mahdiya. ...Those without swords made a replica from wood. Those with swords were out front and those without in the back. This made the British think everyone had swords, Sword-less soldiers would pick up ones from their fallen comrads and pursue the battle." End field notes.

Its really a thrill to see these two swords likely made by the same smith. Based on the above, they could be among the oldest Kassala made examples I know of. But then of course, this is only one informant, but he "carried the culture" of the Kassala Swordsmiths. What's the provenance off the sword in your photo? Great find.

Best regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote