View Single Post
Old 17th January 2012, 07:41 AM   #18
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
The Kaskara arrived today and after about an hours worth of sanding I managed to remove most of the active surface rust. First it's a big blade close to 38 inches long. The blade is a little springy and very quick and lively. The edge is still quite sharp and all is nice and tight. The only thing that is wrong is the scabbard must have shrunk does not go all the way up to the hilt. About 3.5 inches short. So I took an old replica sword and put it as far as it can go to try and stretch the scabbard. Hopefully this will work once I apply some mink oil .
Lew, I am sure there are many ways of stretching the scabbard and yours works aok.
One that has worked for me with Kaskara has been clove oil the blade and offer repeated firm applications in and out of the scabbard and a firm hand 2/3rd the way down the sheath holding it tight.
The fine oils disappear pretty quickly doing this so repeated applications of oil are needed but cm x cm this does work...when your arms are tired do one last oil and a firm deep sheathing and let it sit over night...a lot of hard work but it will come good...great excercise for your sword arm too
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote