View Single Post
Old 17th July 2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Charles:

This is a lovely piece--very elegant.

The hilt looks Moro but the gold ferrule is certainly odd. My first thought on seeing the gold work was that it resembled SE Asian styles on dha. The way the work is segmented longitudinally into "panels" seems similar to me. Also, the chain-like recurring motif in the first panel next to the blade. The longest "panel" is segmented into recurring floral patterns IMO, again reminiscent of certain dha.

The length of this gold ferrule relative to the total length of the hilt seems a little longer than most Moro barung, and I have been told by Filipinos who should know that this usually indicates a Samal origin (if I recall correctly, Cato may also make this point).

However, the question really is whether this is Moro or from somewhere else? The overall style of barung and scabbard look Moro to me, it's just the decoration that seems different. [BTW I have seen this tilted "wrangka" at least once before on a barung--perhaps it sits more comfortably or aligns better with the hand when worn across the body in a waist band or sash.]

This quality of gold decoration is simply not seen on many Moro pieces and I think it definitely comes from elsewhere. We probably need to look for more prosperous Muslim neighbors. Given my comments above about a possible mainland SE Asian influence, I would think Malaysia (including Sabah) or the Sultanate of Brunei would be reasonable thoughts. Maybe Brunei is more likely given the longstanding connections between the muslims of the Sulu archipelago and the sultanate.

Just a lovely looking piece. Definitely made for someone who was wealthy. Congratulations on the find.

Cheers,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote