View Single Post
Old 20th June 2008, 08:44 AM   #6
drdavid

Quote:
What are the factors that we should consider if we wish to appraise the artistic qualities of a keris, both blade and dress?
Thanks Alan for giving us something to focus on initially. It probably represents one of the easier and more universal qualities to reflect on in an object like the keris.

If we are thinking about the artistic qualities of anything there are a number of issues that need to be addressed, some intrinsic to the object, some extrinsic. I have concentrated on generic qualities rather than specific features of the keris as I dont feel qualified to comment on those. My list is not particularly comprehensive but these are the things that I look for when I collect for artistic merit.

Does it have quality?
By quality I mean that characteristic of an artefact that makes us realise it was made by someone who cares about what they are doing and has the skills to execute what they are trying to achieve.

Does it have cultural integrity?
Here I am not referring particularly to its monetary value but rather does it reflect the society, social group or culture from which it springs. For example Australian aboriginal art is readily recognisable and relatively consistent in style but a well made piece that originates from an artist in New York will never have the cultural resonance of a piece made by an indigenous Australian artist who resides in the isolated Kimberley region of Australia. The home grown piece is in some way more genuine, although I can respect someone in another culture creating a piece that reflects their response to the original artefact.

Is it unique?
This is not an absolute, but the more unique a piece is the greater its potential merit. Sometimes unique equals badly conceived and some non-unique pieces, for example the original hundred or so copies made from a Japanese woodblock, have definite artistic merit.

Finally (and most importantly to me), do I have a response to the piece. Does the combination presented to me as a piece of art evoke something in me? If I don’t feel something about the piece I can only appreciate the other qualities I have mentioned, but if I feel something that is quite different.

All of these qualities can of course be challenged, particularly in a de-constructionist sense but they reflect my sensibilities. I would be very keen to hear what others think.

DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote