View Single Post
Old 20th June 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Jussi, I don't think that there is any longer any doubt about the time and place from whence the keris originated.

Nor is there any doubt that in its pre-modern form, and in its modern form, it was first and foremost a weapon. Moreover, a weapon, the design of which, made it extremely well suited to close quarters use.

Probably the most unusual feature of keris design is the asymmetric base of the blade that is found in most blade forms. The rationale for this feature can be understood by tracking the development of the modern keris from its pre-modern form. In fact, form does follow function in the case of the keris, as it does with most things, however to understand this we need to go back to the point of origin and follow the development.

Because of the nature of the culture from which the keris arose, it was inevitable that over the extended period of its existence, it should gather around it the esoterica for which it is so well known.

So, "understanding the keris":- exactly what is it that we wish to understand?

I agree, if we look at all the information--- and misinformation--- that has been published on the keris, it is very, very difficult to find a direction to follow.

My perspective is this:-

about 1000 years ago a weapon was in use in Jawa that over a period of several hundred years became the keris as we know it today

the keris as we know it today was and is first and foremost a weapon

it can also be a work of art

it can also be a symbol of authority

it can also be a talisman

it can also be a fetish

it can also be regarded as the vessel for a unifying force

it can also be a store of wealth

There may be other things that the keris can "also be---"

However, whatever it may be, its being depends upon the time and place in which it is found. Time alters perception, thus the perception of a person raised in a western society in 2008 is different from the perception of a person raised in a Javanese-Hindu society in 1400. Similarly, the perception of that Javanese-Hindu person differs from the perception of a person raised as a good Muslim in 19th century Jawa--- and so on.

All things will alter perception.

Time, place, experience, perhaps even if its a nice day or not. So if we seek understanding of the keris, or of anything else for that matter, we need first to define very carefully what it is we wish to understand and then to admit the qualification that our understanding can only ever be one of a number of equally valid understandings.

If we can accept this proposition, may I suggest that we begin our attempt at understanding by looking at just one facet of the keris, that is, its persona as a work of art.

What are the factors that we should consider if we wish to appraise the artistic qualities of a keris, both blade and dress?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote