View Single Post
Old 5th March 2008, 04:04 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In this Orwellian nightmare, does it mean that swords in museums and in private collections are now outlawed and subject to confiscation? I cannot believe that these important artifacts of monumental historical importance can possibly be included in such ridiculous legislation, and that bonified collectors and institutions such as museums would not be exempt.

In the many years I have studied swords and edged weapons, I have sought to convince museums and historical organizations that these artifacts are soundly representative of cultural, traditional and historical symbolism and not to be emphasized as tools of destruction. In many cases, these weapons are deeply imbued with religious significance and often considered elements of art in material culture.

It is time that the legal machine recognizes that criminal action cannot be eliminated by removing weapons themselves, as the inherent behaviour of such individuals knows no bounds in creativity in using all manner of 'weapons of opportunity', and virtually any object will serve.

I can only express outrage and disappointment in this news,

Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote